The AMA Pro K&N Filters Grand National Championship rolled into Maryland’s Hagerstown Speedway this past weekend, and series points leader Joe Kopp was determined to have a better night after a brutal get off on the west coast.
“It’s not like I was broke in half or anything, but I’m still pretty sore,” said Kopp. “This was a great race. It was a lot of fun dueling with Kenny (Coolbeth), we went back and forth for a long time.”
It was a lot more fun for Kopp as he pulled to nearly a one-second lead over Kenny Coolbeth. The two former Grand National Champions and former teammates kept the large crowd entertained after a couple of aborted starts.
The first attempt to get the 25-lap National under way only lasted to the first turn, where Jake Johnson crashed right in front of the pack. Johnny Lewis and Mick Kirkness were collected in the mess. All three riders would make the restart, however Johnson was on his backup Harley-Davidson.
The next try lasted two laps before last week’s winner and this week’s fast qualifier Stevie Bonsey fell in turn three. Bonsey was uninjured, but unable to make the restart.
Coolbeth had gotten the hole shot every time, and the third time was no different. Kopp was close behind and looking for any kind of space to make a move. Rob Pearson was having a great ride in third until the 10th lap, when defending Twins Champion Jared Mees pushed his Harley-Davidson onto the podium. Coolbeth and Kopp exchanged the lead at the line three times, but there was passing going on all around the track. Kopp finally took over for good on lap 20. Pearson’s fourth place came into jeopardy late in the race as Sammy Halbert and Bryan Smith closed to within a half second, but that would be the finish order. Johnson regrouped to finish a strong seventh over Henry Wiles, Kirkness and Brandon Robinson.
Earlier in the night, the all-important Dash for Cash ($1,000 and five points) had gone to Jared Mees in a wire-to-wire win. Kopp was second and Johnson third.
In the Motorcycle-Superstore.com Pro Singles Grand National Championship, points leader Jeffery Carver solidified his lead with a come-from-behind win. Early leader James Rispoli would have to settle for second.
Defending Series Champion, Brad Baker was a distant third, barely holding off his traveling buddy Mike Avila. Carver now holds a 31-point lead over Baker.
Hagerstown Speedway, Hagerstown, Maryland
RESULTS: August 7, 2010
GNT DASH FOR CASH (4 laps; 6 riders):
1. Jared Mees (H-D); 2. Joe Kopp (H-D); 3. Jake Johnson (H-D); 4. Sammy Halbert (H-D); 5. Kenny Coolbeth (H-D); 6. Henry Wiles (H-D).
AMA PRO MOTORCYCLE-SUPERSTORE.COM PRO SINGLES MAIN (12 laps; 18 riders):
1. Jeffery Carver (Yam); 2. James Rispoli (Hon); 3. Brad Baker (Hon); 4. Mike Avila (Hon); 5. Jake Shoemaker (Suz); 6. Brian Vincent (Hon); 7. Wyatt Maguire (Yam); 8. Chaz Springsteen (Kaw); 9. Asa Irish (Hon); 10. William Cato (Hon); 11. Eric Stump (Hon); 12. Mike Martin (Hon); 13. Adam Bushman (Hon); 14. Jason Isennock (Hon); 15. Mike LaBelle (Hon); 16. Shayna Texter (Hon); 17. Austin Greenland (Hon); 18. Brian Tapp (Hon).
Time: 10:27.557 (RED FLAG).
AMA PRO MOTORCYCLE-SUPERSTORE.COM PRO SINGLES CHAMPIONSHIP POINT STANDINGS (After 10 0f 18 rounds):
1. Jeffery carver (195 pts / 4 wins); 2, Brad Baker (164 / 3 wins); 3. James Rispoli (134); 4. Mike Avila (119); 5. Mike Martin (91); 6. Mike LaBelle (85); 7. Chaz Springsteen (79); 8. JD Beach (72); 9. Jake Shoemaker (52); 10. (TIE) Wyatt Maguire / Gerit Callies (42); 12. Michael Toon (38 / 1 win); 13. Jeremy Hamilton (37); 14. Zakk Palmer (36); 15. Shayna Texter (35); 16. Brandon Laursen (33); 17. Stephen Vanderkuur (31); 18. John Long (30); 19. Tyler O’Hara (29); 20. Brian Vincent (28).
AMA PRO K&N GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PRESENTED by MOTORCYCLE-SUPERSTORE.COM MAIN (25 laps; 18 riders):
1. Joe Kopp (H-D); 2. Kenny Coolbeth (H-D); 3. Jared Mees (H-D); 4. Rob Pearson (H-D); 5. Sammy Halbert (H-D); 6. Bryan Smith (Kaw); 7. Jake Johnson (H-D); 8. Henry Wiles (H-D); 9. Mick Kirkness (H-D); 10. Brandon Robinson (H-D); 11. Doug Lawrence (H-D); 12. Chris Carr (H-D); 13. Adam Carpinello (H-D); 14. Matt Weidman (H-D); 15. Chad Cose (Suz); 16. Lucas Scherb (H-D); 17. Johnny Lewis (Kaw); 18. Stevie Bonsey (H-D);.
Time: 19:12.704 (RED FLAG).
AMA PRO K&N GRAND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PRESENTED by MOTORCYCLE-SUPERSTORE.COM POINT STANDINGS (After 10 of 18 rounds):
1. Joe Kopp (193 pts / 3 wins); 2. (TIE) Jake Johnson (2 wins) / Sammy Halbert (1 win) (175); 4. Jared Mees (164); 5. Henry Wiles (160 / 3 wins); 6. Kenny Coolbeth (152); 7. Chris Carr (102); 8. Bryan Smith (93); 9. Rob Pearson (77); 10. Johnny Lewis (67); 11. Matt Weidman (64); 12. Mick Kirkness (63); 13. Jethro Halbert (57); 14. Stevie Bonsey (45 / 1 win); 15. Brandon Robinson (35); 16. JR Schnabel (28); 17. Luke Gough (26) 18. Chad Cose (21); 19. (TIE) PJ Jacobsen / Brandan Bergen (19).